Sunday, February 6, 2011

The definition of a relaxing weekend...



Hey everyone!!


Last time I wrote, I was stressed, crazy, and mentally exhausted. Luckily, 6:00 at work came quickly and it was time to relax. Instead of going out to the normal places, I stayed at home, read a book (it wasn't even for class..crazy :) ), and caught up on much needed work. Saturday brought another day of laziness and catching up. Later that night I attended a fashion show at Crystal City, one of the fashion districts of DC. I went with three of my housemates (Tata, Sumyie, and Rose). It was actually very fun and I felt extremely sophisticated (soooo classy :) ). At the end of the blog, there are some pics from the show. Today, Super Bowl Sunday, has been spent on campus at Washington Semester's Tenley Campus at the WASSA Super Bowl Party, put on by myself and fellow members of WASSA. It has been a great way to watch the game, eat great food, and meet fellow students in the program, especially since I don't live on campus with everyone.





The real reason I wanted to blog today is to share a poem that I found in a newspaper I bought recently. This newspaper is not your typical newspaper. It is called "Street Sense" and is a paper that is written about and by the homeless of DC. Those who are homeless have the opportunity to become sellers of the paper, they purchase them for 35 cents and can sell them for a recommended donation of $1. One of the sections is a poetry section and I would like to leave you today with one of the poems. It is called Home Free and is written by Robert Warren.


The end of homelessness, how could that be?


The Lord of us all said the poor and homeless
 would always be among thee.  


A test of life for the Lord to see how man gives to 
those less fortunate than he.


The end of homelessness how could that be?


With a home to live in - not on the street, with 
lowlife, murderers, and thieves, 


Regular folks, foreclosed on, trying to get back on 
their feet, 


And those who say shelter life is not for me. 


Remember the Lord of us all said they would always, 
be among us to see.


Stay honest and keep those around you honest, 
- Josh



No comments:

Post a Comment