Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Introduction

Hey Everyone!!



My name is Joshua Miranda and I am currently a sophomore at Saint Michael's College. Snow has covered the campus, finals are being taken, Christmas presents are being shared, which only means one thing....WINTER VACATION. This Winter Vaca, however, is very bittersweet. Next semester I will not return to Saint Michael's College, for I will be studying abroad in our nations capital, Washington DC. This year has been such a blessing at St. Mikes. I have really become the person who I always wanted to be. I look forward to what new adventures and new challenges lie ahead and how it will impact my life

I am from a small town in Rhode Island called Portsmouth. Portsmouth is one of the best places to be on Earth and I miss it so much sometimes when I am at school. As a student at Portsmouth High School, I was an avid student leader and participated/organized/helped out in as many events as possible, which truly helped me with the path I have taken at SMC I have a supportive family back home who I still call/text everyday when I'm at school (yep I miss my mommy and other family a lot :) ).Summers in RI are great and often consist of daily beach relaxation. Although Patriot (our school mascot was the Portsmouth Patriot) blood still flows through my body,Purple and Gold Knight blood has mixed in and now RED WHITE AND BLUE will enter into the mix.


Saint Michael's College is definitely one of the only places I would rather be if I were not at home. There is so much to do here and it is so easy to get involved. Currently I am a member of the Core team for Move (Mobilization of Volunteer Efforts), Coordinator of International Outreach Homework Club (a refugee homework help program), Coordinator and Founder of Autism Awareness Week, work with ORIENTATION, and also participate in other on campus activities. I am an Elementary Ed and American Studies major with a Religious Studiesminor (double major + minor = crazy life :) ). My passion is working with kids and helping them succeed in anything they want to.  This year I began working at OLD NAVY and have quickly fallen in love with everything about, the work, the customers, and most importantly my coworkers!!! I will truly miss life in Burlington!!


In just a few weeks, I will move into my apartment in DC, only a few blocks from the Capitol Building!! CRAZY!!! I will then begin seminars, working an internship, and writing an extensive research paper. I invite you to join me in the fun, come along with me and live A CAPITAL LIFE!!

1 comment:

  1. If I could go back to this Joshua today, I think of all the things I would say. It is funny, the Joshua that wrote this is not the Joshua that is reflecting. I remember being scared and even having second thoughts. How could a boy from small town in Rhode Island that goes to school in an even smaller town in Vermont, move to a big city. From this post it sounds like I was more than excited, but I know deep down inside, this was far from true.

    ReplyDelete